Wednesday, November 20, 2013

It all started with this...

The christmas rush has started...and the first quilt was this...

When this arrived and I started looking at it, all I could see was straight lines. Continuous curve was a problem in the star points because of the rectangular diamonds in with the regular. So, it took a while to get going. There were also small borders mixed in with larger ones. Don't get me wrong...I love this quilt...but for me it was a challenge.

I posted a picture on MQ Resource, which is a wonderful forum for longarm quilters, looking for some inspiration. Some of them too saw straight lines. So I began. I did however decide to add the continuous curve in the diamonds and split the rectangles into diamonds with the CC.

Here is the result...


This quilt was made by Jane Stewart. It was a block of the month called Taos by Whirligig Designs. I am tempted to make it myself because it is a beautiful...big (HUGE actually)...quilt.

It took a while to quilt it and put me a little behind, but it was worth it to see Jane's happy face.

So after I made a couple of other customers happy, then I did one of my own. It will be raffled off at our company Christmas party for charity. We usually do a big screen TV...but everyone has one of those and some staff are always bugging me for a quilt.
So I present Spirit of Christmas, designed by Nancy Rink. The fabric was a kit, also called Spirit of Christmas...

I quilted it with the Winter Wonderland pantograph. It is large snowflakes, which I thought fit with the applique, which I would have done by hand if I had the time.


Happy Holidays everyone. Now I have to do the binding! Enjoy the hop!

2 comments:

Heather said...

very nice work. The Christmas quilt is lovely.

Sewnuts said...

Just looked you up when talking last evening to your aunt Mary Ellen (Mel) McGugan - and that's assuming I have the "right Sandy Spence", and from her describing your quilting and long-arm business - I think I do! Wes was a cousin of my dad's and she had us to her place yesterday for dinner and she talked about you, your quilting and you are to also soon go on a cruise together with your mom and aunts - how exciting! Your quilting is stunning, lovely work! I am a quilter also and always like meeting other quilters and see what they do.